Sometimes happiness is more elusive than we’d like it be. With constant to-do lists, households to run, families, work (and working out!), it’s easy to get lost in the hectic repetition of everyday life. Here’s a quick exercise that will boost the happiness factor in your life guaranteed! Try it in the morning when you first wake up, at your desk, or even right before bed (my favorite time)…
- Turn your phone to airplane mode and set the timer for 5 minutes. Sit Indian style on the floor, in a chair with your feet flat on the ground, or lie in bed
- Place one hand on your chest and the other on your belly and begin to breathe deeply through your nose with a closed mouth. Focus on slowing down and deepening your breathe so that you can first feel the hand on your chest rise as air enters your body, and then hand on your tummy as air travels deeper into your abdomen. Exhale and notice the hand on your belly first go down or in, then notice the hand on your chest go down or in as air travels out your body via your nose
- Repeat this process, counting 1 on the inhale, 2 on the exhale, 3 on the inhale, and so on… Remember to breathe as slowly as possible deepening and slowing each breathe as you go
- Once you’ve established deep breathing and you’ve finished your 30 rounds, recall a time that you were at your happiest…it can be a memory or something aspirational that you see yourself doing in the future. What does the setting look like, smell like, feel like? Who is with you? How does your body feel? Immerse yourself in this happy place and continue your deep breathing, imagining that you are drinking up this experience via your breathe and feeding your body with happiness at a cellular level
- Continue breathing deeply while recalling this happy dream or consider counting with breathe if your mind starts to wander
- After your timer awakens you, take 10 seconds to notice any affects. How do you feel?